Your Confidential Records
You can be assured that your medical records are safe with Stockwood Medical Practice. We will only share data that identifies you under the following circumstances:
- With other health care professionals (hospital or community staff) as part of an agreed plan of treatment;
- With your explicit consent, eg. for participation in research studies;
- In circumstances where it is in the interests of your health and you are not able to give consent, eg. if you are unconscious
- Where we are obliged to divulge information under the Health & Social Care Act 2012, eg. in the case of a national emergency or pandemic;
- Where we are required to do so for health service planning purposes and you have not explicitly opted out of having your data shared (see below);
- Please see our Privacy Notice for detailed information.
Our strict rules about confidentiality mean that we will not discuss your medical affairs even with your close family unless you give us permission to do so. This includes details of appointments you have made. If you would like your partner, parent, son/daughter or carer to be able to speak to us on your behalf, you must tell us beforehand. Please ask our Reception Team for a consent form if you require an ongoing arrangement for sharing consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time.
Summary Care Record (SCR)
Your summary care record is an electronic record of your healthcare history (and other relevant personal information) held on a national healthcare records database provided and facilitated by NHS England. This record may be shared with other healthcare professionals and additions to this record may also be made by relevant healthcare professionals and organisations involved in your direct healthcare. You have the choice of what information you would like to share and with whom.
At a minimum, the SCR holds important information about;
- current medication
- allergies and details of any previous bad reactions to medicines
- the name, address, date of birth and NHS number of the patient
Additional Information in the SCR, such as details of long-term conditions, significant medical history, or specific communications needs, is now included by default for patients with an SCR, unless they have previously told the NHS that they did not want this information to be shared. There will also be a temporary change to include COVID-19 specific codes in relation to suspected, confirmed, Shielded Patient List and other COVID-19 related information within the Additional Information.
All of our patients who have not chosen to opt out have a Summary Care Record that can be accessed, with the patient’s consent, by hospital and out of hours staff.
You may choose to opt out of having a Summary Care Record. The websites below will help you to decide on the risks and benefits.
If you would like to opt out, please print off and complete the following consent form and return it to the surgery.